Wednesday, 2 January 2013

January To Do's

Back in November, I proclaimed that I was bringing back my monthly to do lists like I used to do for my wedding. It was a great way for me to focus on just a few things for the month so I could stay on track and not feel so overwhelmed. I also hoped it would cure my compulsion to start projects and never finish them. I did manage to accomplish one of the three goals for November- cleaning up the basement. The other two- not so much. I didn't end up updating and creating a list for December. It would have went something like "finish all the handmade presents you thought were a good idea until it's the week before Christmas and you have a bunch to finish still...".

I did want to bring it back for January and the new year though. It will hopefully help keep me on track and it will also serve as the post to announce my new skill or activity I want to try for the month (as discussed in my new years resolutions post). So without drawing this on any longer- here are my goals for the month.

1. Redesign the blog. I announced this in Monday's post already. It's time for a face lift... if I can figure this whole web design thing out anyways.

2. Get the shower tile ready. I also want to add "and start tiling" but I'll set the goal low so I can hopefully get there. We finished all the plumbing in November and even got one sheet of tile backer board and one small piece of drywall up (before having a heated argument and stopping- haha). Hopefully over the course of the month, we can get the rest of the boards on. We picked up our tile a couple weekends ago and it's just sitting ready to be installed in the garage... I can't wait!

3. Continue working to complete our gallery wall - complete one painting. I realized finishing the gallery wall in one month was too much for me. There are at least 3 or 4 custom art pieces I want to paint and/or design so maybe one of them a month is enough.

4. Tie up all the loose ends in our bedroom. We have a painting just sitting on a dresser. There is a mirror sitting on the floor waiting to be hung. Our headboard is just sandwiched between the wall and our mattresses and needs to be attached to our bed frame. I bought new knobs for our night stands but have yet to put them on. I need to just get on these things already.

5. Complete the soup mugs for my parents. I planned on making them custom soup mugs for Christmas and even purchased the mugs and designed them but since I contracted the plague and was down and out for the week before Christmas, it just didn't happen. Thankfully they understood since they were also victims to the flu. I need to do this in January or I fear that they will sit incomplete until next Christmas... I'm not kidding. I work best with a deadline.

That is more than enough to keep me busy! What are you guys working on in January?

30 comments:

  1. These goals definitely sound do-able!
    What a great idea to break things down month by month - I did the same thing for my wedding too! It felt so good to have everything done at the end of the month :D

    Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monthly goals are just so much more attainable to me. I like to have big ones too but I find I get overwhelmed so this is my way of focusing my efforts for the month.

      Thanks Ashley! Happy new year to you too!

      Delete
  2. Great goals! I need to pry myself away from Netflix long enough to do something productive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! I hear ya- I've been spending a lot of my holiday break on down time. I'm ready to be productive again now though. We just needed to recharge!

      Delete
  3. Fantastic goals! I have no doubt you'll get them done - you kicked ass on your wedding to do list after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the support Ashley! I only kicked ass on those sometimes... haha. I've decided not to beat myself up over things this year though. These are goals- if I don't get them all done this month, there is next month. No sense making myself feel guilty over it.

      Delete
  4. There's a helpful book by John Duckett that breaks HTML and CSS. Good luck with your redo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion John! I'll check it out!

      Delete
  5. Those are some great goals! As soon as I get rid of whatever illness I've got I need to clean and organize my house! My blog could use a redesign as well, but I don't think I've got the patience to do it myself. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you feel better soon Ashley! Being sick is the worst! My house sooo needs a purge and reorganize.... I'm thinking February will be the time for that.

      I'm starting to agree with you on this redesign thing... maybe someone else should do it for me! haha

      Delete
  6. Yay! Good (and manageable) January to-do list. I need to do this before I blink and it's February! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erika! You're right! It will be over before we know it...

      Delete
  7. I love the idea of writing down monthly goals, even if you don't get to all of them (which is what usually happens to me, lol). Good luck with your list, I can't wait to see a new look and maybe some progress on the house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way Kelly. I like to write them out even if I know it's likely I won't finish ALL of them. If I get 1 or 2 completed, I'll be really happy!

      Delete
  8. I'll also be finishing up Christmas presents in January thanks to illness and a broken sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear you were sick as well : ( Hope you're feeling better and your sewing machine is a quick and easy fix!

      Delete
  9. I love the idea of monthly goals! I work so much better when things are written out and in front of me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! If I leave it all in my head, I can't seem to focus or prioritize. I tend to get overwhelmed and easily distracted- this helps keep me on task.

      Delete
  10. I just remade my blog and ugh - next time, I'm forking over the money to have someone else do it. It tested my patience mucho big time (that is very gramatically incorrect, both in english and spanish). Can't wait to see how yours comes together!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally understand why people do that right now! So frustrating and time consuming!! I'll have to go check yours out! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  11. I couldn’t survive without making lists! I am often ridiculed for writing something that I have already done down on the list just to have the satisfaction of crossing it off (I probably need to get out more)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I do that too! Sometimes you just need to cross something off to make it feel like you are accomplishing things.

      Delete
  12. Great idea to do a monthly list. So much smarter than my too-quickly-forgotten annual lists. Fingers crossed for your redesign!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes- a goal list for a year is great but it's hard to stay focused on that! I have a short attention span....

      Delete
  13. I'm addicted to lists as well! It helps keep me on track (and helps so I don't forget things!) I can't wait to see what this year has in store for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Whitney! I'm so glad you're back!

      Delete
  14. Good idea! I really need to start monthly goals. I have them in my head, but writing them down will hold me much more accountable. Good luck with your January to-do list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find writing them down really helps to cement them in my mind and stay focused. Thanks Chelsea!

      Delete
  15. Laurie11/1/13

    Dear Christine, I have no life. Please post more of your life so I can feel better about mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha alright Laurie. I don't have much of a life either and am still having trouble finding time to get to blogging. This redesign is sucking the time and life out of me! Well the redesign and the shower....

      Delete

Let's chat! Please leave a comment while you're here- getting them makes my day!

09 10